_MvldSauh76wwbX1VnSwRP7ok0A The Fab Free: Jesus and Coupons

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Jesus and Coupons





When gathering my thoughts and notes for this blog post, I realized that there were only 2 things I wanted to talk about.  Jesus and Coupons!  Really, it's the only 2 things a girl really needs since they both manage to SAVE you from hell (and yes, I'm comparing actual Hell to the financial hell this family has gone through this past year).  ;)


I know that some of my readers may not believe the same way I do and that's fine.  I just want to share with all of you how Jesus has really impacted my life and how I believe He has used these little pieces of paper to bring about a new FREEDOM for my family.


See, for so long we were mismanaging our money - sometimes because we had no choice but mostly because we had credit cards!  Now, I don't who the genius was at BOA who thought it'd be a great idea to give us a credit card with 15K limit, but they did.  And, we used it.  Alot.  In 2006, we had accumulated $32K in credit card debt.  Talk about heads trying to explode!  So we did what was the only option we felt we had, we borrowed $ based on the equity in our home to pay them off.  And, we're STILL paying it.  


These were (and sometimes still are) very dark times for our family.  I remember not too long ago, falling on my face in prayer and crying out to God to release us from all the 'crap' that we had brought on ourselves - from managing our money poorly to all the 'other' stuff that we were dealing with.  The truth is, we could have been more vigilant about the things we were facing but it's just too easy to lock yourself in the bedroom and sleep through it - and that's what I did for a long time.  Life was just too hard.  Between worrying how to pay the light bill, mortgage, AND put food on the table - I was spent.  There was NO money and there wasn't any hope of money coming in...


But, God is completely faithful even when we were not!  No, He didn't wave a magic wand and I didn't win the lottery (although I pray hard for it every day!)  But what He did do was give me a frugal heart.  He reminded me of Deuteronomy 8:18, "But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today." 


For those people who actually know me, they know that I am slightly frazzled.  On normal days, I can't remember anything and I can't tell you how many things I start only to leave them unfinished when it becomes too hard.  Coupons however haven't been that way - thankfully!  
Last February, I picked up a few papers.  4 to be exact.  I started following a few blogs that offered great match-ups, and I made a coupon binder.  It all just sort of fell into place - it didn't seem hard at all.


How do I know it was God and not my own abilities??  Well, because this family was a hot mess!!  I feel that God allowed us to get to the lowest point to bring us back up refreshed and renewed.  Every family member has changed in some fashion.  Our children look for deals and incentives, my husband no longer buys every hunting item he can get his hands on and me...well, I work for my family now.  My salary consists of all the money I save us. 


I now know that EVERYTHING I have comes from God in His infinite goodness.  We really are truly blessed.  By our own merits we should be living on the streets, divorced and utterly depressed.  But God looked down and saw the 'mess' and in turn showered us with mercy and grace.


With 2012 already upon us, let's make some changes.  We don't have to be bound to our finances or desires - we can be FREE!  :)  Throughout this year, I will post articles, tips and ideas on re-purposing our lives.  Turning the old and battered into new and useful - I hope you can join me.  Together, we can make this year the best yet!


Happy New Year!!


Like us on Facebook

3 comments:

Fall Into Books said...

Hey! I'm a new follower from the Tuesday Blog Hop! Great blog! Please check mine out when you get the chance.

Thanks!
Amber
http://falln2books.blogspot.com

momto8 said...

wow! I enjoyed reading your story! Keep the faith..and good luck!

The Fab Free said...

Thanks so much! :)

Post a Comment